The trend changed in September. In that month there were more Venezuelan citizens who left Ecuador than those that arrived. This has generated, for the first time since 2012, a negative balance of migrants of Venezuelans in the country. According to data from the Ministry of Government, in September 2019, only 2,458 Venezuelans entered Ecuador, less than the 90,828 that did so in August, when the humanitarian visa entered into force. Last month,8,778 Venezuelans left Ecuadorian territory. The majority (3,929) left by the international pass of Rumichaca; in addition, another 1,1641 left through Mariscal Sucre airport, 1,514 left by José…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- What should you bring to Cuenca?