Recently there have been reports of retaliation against the migrant Venezuelan population,. This has been fueled by the belief that there is a rise in the crime rate in Ecuador because of the large influx of Venezuelans over the last two years. Some statistics, when viewed as a whole may paint another picture. The number of Venezuelans currently detained in the Ecuadorian penitentiary system is 15% (446) of the total number of foreign detainees. They do represent the second largest percentage of that group, after Colombians (1,955). However, the number of foreign inmates in the prison system accounts for less…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Tame temporarily suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale
- Ecuador achieves four agreements after meeting at the White House