There are currently 2,468 dialysis patients in the records of the Jose Carrasco Arteaga IESS Hospital in Cuenca. The head physicians of the Nephrology area of the hospital are worried about that number because most people come to seek attention for this kidney disease very late in the game. According to the experts, there are many other diseases that precede kidney failure and that can be diagnosed and treated early in order to avoid dialysis treatment. There are various diseases known to affect the function of the kidneys: diabetes mellitus, glomerulonephritis, high blood pressure, kidney stones, and even various hereditary…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- What should you bring to Cuenca?