Earlier this year, the Ecuadorian government stated its intent to issue a new type of Passport and ID card, with stronger biometric and electronic security standards. This is a necessary step in the effort to allow Ecuadorians to travel to Europe without the need to for a Visa. As of now, 15 member countries of the European Union have agreed to allow the Schengen Visa exemption when Ecuador complies with this prerequisite. On August 1st, the tender process ended, and the Ecuadorian government appointed a French company to be the one to produce the new passports and IDs. The national…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- What should you bring to Cuenca?