A minor identified as Sofia G., 8, died after undergoing surgery in a hospital in Cuenca on November 18th. Her relatives have reported the case, since they believe that it was due to medical practice. The Azuay Prosecutor’s Office opened a previous investigation. Juan Carlos Salazar, a lawyer for Sofia’s family, said that on Friday, November 15th, the girl was admitted to a hospital in the city “with a case of tonsillitis,” and the doctors who treated her decided to intervene surgically. “On November 18th, the supposedly routine surgical intervention was performed an operation that should not have been of great significance.…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Tame temporarily suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale
- Ecuador achieves four agreements after meeting at the White House