This past Monday, Ivonne Baki was named as Ecuador’s new ambassador to the United States by President Lenin Moreno. She is stepping down from her current position as Ambassador to Qatar to accept the new post. Born in Guayaquil, the daughter of Lebanese immigrants married Lebanese millionaire Sami A-Baki at the age of 17 and moved to Lebanon. In 1982, Baki moved to Paris and studied at the Sorbonne. She later received her master’s degree in Public Policy at Harvard University. Since 1995, Baki has held positions in the administration of every Ecuadorian president. In 1995, at the request of…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Tame temporarily suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale
- Ecuador achieves four agreements after meeting at the White House