You are currently not logged in. Login or Register.

Ecuador's Original English Language Newspaper

A Maduro insider, millions in transfers and Ecuador’s unfinished scandal

Published on May 18, 2026

If you find this article informative…

Members receive weekly reports on Ecuador’s economics, politics,
crime and more.
Start your subscription today for just $1 for the first month.

(Regular subscription options $4.99/month or $42/year/)

Click here to subscribe.

Extradition renews scrutiny of Foglocons, SUCRE payments, jailed judges and political links in Ecuador.

Alex Saab’s deportation to the United States has reopened one of the most tangled corruption stories ever to pass through Ecuador: a multimillion-dollar scheme involving fictitious exports, Venezuelan public housing contracts, the SUCRE payment system, frozen bank accounts, judges later imprisoned for corruption, and unresolved questions about who in Ecuador may have helped keep the operation moving.

Saab, the Colombian-Venezuelan businessman long described as a chief financial operator for Nicolás Maduro’s government, was sent to the United States on May 16th by Venezuela’s new authorities. He arrived in Miami the following day, again facing U.S. justice after having previously been extradited in 2021 and later released in a 2023 prisoner exchange.

His return to U.S. custody matters in Ecuador because one of the business networks at the center of the case operated through Guayaquil. The company was Fondo Global de Construcciones S.A., better known as Foglocons Ecuador, and prosecutors alleged more than a decade ago that it was used to funnel extraordinary sums of money through the country under the appearance of exports to Venezuela.

Now, with Saab back in American hands, Ecuador’s government says it is prepared to cooperate.

Interior Minister John Reimberg said over the weekend that the administration of President Daniel Noboa is willing to provide U.S. authorities with any available information about Saab’s operations in Ecuador, including possible links to officials and politicians. He suggested that Saab’s extradition could unsettle figures across the region who believed their involvement in old corruption schemes would never return to public view.

Reimberg went further, saying he did not believe Saab acted only as Maduro’s financial proxy. The minister raised the possibility that the businessman may also have served the interests of political actors in other countries, including Ecuador.

A Venezuelan housing project that led to Guayaquil

The Ecuadorian thread begins in 2011, when then-Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos publicly celebrated an agreement tied to the construction of low-income housing in Venezuela. Saab appeared in that setting as a representative of the Colombian company Fondo Global de Construcción, which was expected to supply prefabricated materials for the project.

The housing plan soon generated two major contracts. In March 2012, Venezuela’s Ministry of Housing signed one agreement with Thermo Group S.A. for the construction of 2,800 apartments and another with ELM Import for 5,600 homes. Together, the contracts were valued at roughly $654 million at the exchange rate of the period.

But the Colombian company that had appeared at the center of the public announcement was not ultimately the one contracted for the supplies. Instead, the Venezuelan firms signed agreements with a newly created Ecuadorian company bearing almost the same name: Foglocons Ecuador, incorporated in Guayaquil in October 2012.

The Ecuadorian company’s shareholders were Luis Alfredo Sánchez Yánez and Álvaro Pulido Vargas, a businessman identified as Saab’s partner and later pursued by U.S. authorities. Pulido and Sánchez sold their shares in May 2013, but by then Foglocons Ecuador had already become the conduit for a set of transactions that would draw the attention of Ecuadorian prosecutors.

The company declared it was supplying prefabricated panels for Venezuela’s housing mission. What prosecutors later alleged was far more serious: that Foglocons reported limited export activity while receiving vastly larger payments, creating the appearance of trade where investigators believed little or no real commerce existed.

The SUCRE system and the flow of millions

At the heart of the Ecuadorian case was the SUCRE, the Regional Unitary Compensation System created under the governments of Rafael Correa and Hugo Chávez as a mechanism for trade settlements among participating countries without relying directly on dollars in each transaction.

In practice, the system enabled Foglocons and its Venezuelan counterparties to process payments in a way that quickly produced dollars in Ecuador. According to investigators, Foglocons received money for supposed exports through two Ecuadorian bank accounts, especially one at the now-defunct Banco Territorial.

The numbers drew suspicion almost immediately. Prosecutors said Foglocons registered exports of about $13 million, while receiving $159.9 million in payments. Even more striking, the company reported only around $200,000 in payments to suppliers, a figure wildly out of proportion to the value of the supposed exports.

Authorities later said they found altered invoices, duplicated or falsified customs declarations, and irregular shipping documents during raids connected to the investigation. These records, they argued, pointed to a broader structure in which trade paperwork was manipulated to justify international transfers.

The funds did not stay in Ecuador for long. Investigators said money that entered local accounts was often moved abroad within days, with transfers reaching destinations such as Curaçao, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Panama. By the time Ecuadorian authorities acted, they were able to freeze $57 million, but much of the money had already left the country.

U.S. prosecutors later described an even wider operation. Their case alleged that Saab and Pulido bribed Venezuelan officials to facilitate payments tied to false or inflated trade claims. According to that accusation, officials in customs, the National Guard and Venezuela’s foreign exchange bureaucracy helped create the appearance of shipments, approve repeated payments and redirect money through international channels.

The alleged scheme was not only about Ecuadorian exports. It was also about exploiting Venezuela’s tightly controlled exchange system. By presenting trade transactions as legitimate, prosecutors said, the network could obtain dollars under favorable government exchange rules and move those proceeds outside the country.

American authorities have said approximately $350 million connected to the operation ultimately moved through accounts in the United States before being transferred elsewhere.

Saab’s cooperation and the money he returned

One of the more remarkable turns in Saab’s legal history emerged years after the Ecuadorian case first came to light. Declassified information showed that he began cooperating with U.S. law enforcement as early as 2018, meeting with agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the FBI.

During those discussions, Saab reportedly provided information about his companies, their contracts with the Venezuelan government, and the movement of money after payments were received. That cooperation became especially significant because the business routes he described overlapped with the Ecuadorian Foglocons transactions.

Saab also transferred money to accounts controlled by the DEA. The payments, made between August 2018 and February 2019, totaled more than $12 million. The transfers were described as a partial return of profits linked to illicit activity involving him and Pulido.

That history adds another layer to his renewed detention in the United States. Saab was first arrested in Cape Verde in June 2020 during a refueling stop while traveling to Iran. After a prolonged extradition fight, he was transferred to Miami in October 2021 to face money laundering charges. He was later released in December 2023 as part of a prisoner exchange between Washington and Caracas.

Upon returning to Venezuela, he regained political favor and eventually received a government role, serving as a high-level economic official under Maduro. But after Maduro’s fall from power in January 2026, Saab lost that protection. He disappeared from public view, was reportedly detained in February, and was deported to the United States in May.

Ecuador’s case collapsed in court, then the judges fell

While U.S. prosecutors continued building their international case, Ecuador’s own criminal proceeding against Foglocons unraveled in a way that remains controversial.

In November 2013, the Attorney General’s Office filed money laundering charges against figures linked to the company. A judge ordered the freezing of $57 million found in Foglocons accounts in Ecuador.

But in July 2014, Judge Madeline Pinargote annulled the criminal case during a pretrial hearing. The decision shocked prosecutors. The following year, she ordered the return of the frozen $57 million to representatives of Foglocons, despite questions about whether she had the authority to do so.

In September 2016, the Specialized Criminal Chamber of the Guayas Provincial Court upheld the annulment. The chamber was composed of judges Fabiola Gallardo, Johann Marfetán and Manuel Suárez, who died in 2022.

Years later, several of the judges involved in dismantling the Foglocons case ended up in prison themselves.

Pinargote was convicted of malfeasance over her handling of the case, specifically for declaring the proceedings null and void. Gallardo, a former president of the Guayas Court of Justice, and Marfetán were later convicted in the Purga case, an organized crime investigation that exposed a network of judicial corruption allegedly used to deliver favorable outcomes and guarantee impunity.

Their imprisonment has revived questions about whether the Foglocons case was merely mishandled or actively buried. For many Ecuadorians, the sequence remains troubling: prosecutors froze tens of millions of dollars linked to an alleged laundering scheme, courts annulled the case and ordered the money returned, and judges who made those rulings were later jailed in separate corruption scandals.

The LigaPro president and a lingering unanswered question

The Foglocons network also touched a prominent figure in Ecuadorian sports: Miguel Ángel Loor, president of LigaPro, the country’s professional soccer league.

Loor worked as a lawyer for Foglocons Ecuador. In 2022, the Prosecutor’s Office announced a preliminary investigation focused on transfers of more than $30 million received by Loor and companies connected to him from the firm linked to Saab.

Loor has denied wrongdoing. In a 2021 letter to the National Assembly’s Oversight Committee, he said he provided lawful legal advisory services to Foglocons both inside and outside Ecuador. The committee, then chaired by the late Fernando Villavicencio, had been examining Saab’s connections in the country and summoned Loor to appear. He did not attend, as he was outside Ecuador at the time.

No charges were ultimately brought against Loor in relation to the case, but his past professional connection to Foglocons remains part of the public record surrounding Saab’s Ecuadorian operations.

A case with political implications

Reimberg’s comments suggest that the Noboa government sees Saab’s return to U.S. custody as more than an international legal development. It is also a potential opening to revisit Ecuadorian conduct that was never fully explained.

The Interior Minister said Ecuador and the United States already cooperate closely against organized crime and that Saab’s case falls within that broader relationship. His message was direct: Washington can request information, and Quito is prepared to provide it.

That commitment raises the possibility that dormant files, testimony and banking records tied to Foglocons could receive fresh attention. It also places renewed pressure on Ecuadorian institutions to explain how such a large operation moved through local banks, customs channels and the courts without producing lasting accountability inside the country.

The Foglocons episode has always sat at the intersection of international corruption and domestic institutional weakness. It involved Venezuelan public contracts, Ecuadorian corporations, a regional trade mechanism, suspicious bank movements, missing or fabricated commercial documentation, judges who later fell under corruption convictions, and political questions that were never answered to public satisfaction.

Saab’s deportation may not resolve those questions on its own. But it has returned them to the center of Ecuador’s political conversation at a moment when U.S. prosecutors may once again be digging through the same financial routes that passed through Guayaquil more than a decade ago.

Ready to become a member?

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This