The renovation of Cuenca’s San Francisco Plaza is on schedule to meet its July completion date, according to Cuenca Mayor Marcelo Cabrera. The project contractor said the project is 45 percent complete. During a Saturday, February 17 tour of the project, Cabrera said he was worried for the plaza merchants who claim their sales are down 60 percent since they were relocated to Calle Padre Aguirre. “They have suffered severe economic hardship and we need to get them back in the plaza as soon as possible,” he said. “The new plaza will attract more tourists as well as Cuenanos and…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology