According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers.” In the most recent 2017 update, the WHO writes that: Tobacco kills up to half of its users Tobacco kills more than 7 million people yearly: 6 million from direct tobacco use and approximately 890,000 due to second-hand smoke Nearly 80% of the world’s more than 1 billion smokers live in low-and-middle income countries. The NCD Alliance reports that tobacco is the leading cause of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and is the risk factor common to the four main…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Los Perniles
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community
- Ancient craft of ikat thrives in Gualaceo