According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “Tobacco is the only legal drug that kills many of its users when used exactly as intended by manufacturers.” In the most recent 2017 update, the WHO writes that: Tobacco kills up to half of its users Tobacco kills more than 7 million people yearly: 6 million from direct tobacco use and approximately 890,000 due to second-hand smoke Nearly 80% of the world’s more than 1 billion smokers live in low-and-middle income countries. The NCD Alliance reports that tobacco is the leading cause of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and is the risk factor common to the four main…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story