Engineering students from the Universidad Politecnica Salesian (UPS) have created a new way to get around town. They call it the “halfbike”. The bike was unveiled at the UPS Casa Abierta, an exhibition of new projects developed during the school year. Engineering student Alex Uchurri explains that the halfbike was designed for fast mobility. “It’s a hybrid between a mountain skateboard and a bicycle,” he said. “Despite the fact that users must drive standing up, it’s very stable and secure.” He adds that the halfbike comes with brakes. Other projects presented at Casa Abierta focused in the environment. Recent graduates…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?