According to the statistics of the Society to Fight Cancer (SOLCA), Ecuador is among the countries that handle the highest rates of thyroid cancer with 17.6%. In particular, Cuenca has a rate of 11.5%, and ranks 19th in incidence worldwide. According to Miguel Jerves, head of the clinic service of SOLCA in Cuenca, between 2005 and 2009, this cancer ranked fourth in tumors that affect women; between 2010 and 2013 it was in second place and the projection for 2020 is that the incidence rate is 20%, occupying first place, even surpassing cervical and breast cancers. There are many diagnostic…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?