The capacity for friendship is God’s way of apologizing for our families. Much has been made of the length of time expats stay in their adopted home. I guess the average is 3.63 years. I am making the number up, but it is close, and illustrates the facts that we live in a world that changes quickly and that quantity means less than quality. Like many, I had left a world strung together by fear and anxiety when I arrived in Ecuador. I sought refuge in a culture that I knew valued the arts, education, and music, and encouraged its…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?