A nearly total renovation, lasting over 15 months and costing almost $1.3 million was completed last month. The pieces requiring greatest care and reconditioning included exterior and interior repair to the dome, bracing the lateral naves, restoration of the walls, and repairing or replacing marble throughout the church. The massive doors to the church were completely redone. Of particular importance, requiring delicate workmanship, was the restoration and conditioning of the intricate murals adorning the altar. Father Francisco Calle, “Father Paco,” is now the pastor of one of Cuenca’s crown jewels. However, he was quick to point out, “This work depended…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?