The major role of vitamin D is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus and keep them in balance to support and maintain healthy bones. Two new studies tested vitamin D at or above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of 600 IU daily up to age 70 and 800 IU daily over age 70. Results show that vitamin D plays an important role in insulin sensitivity and artery stiffness. NutritionAction.com has published the findings in their May 23, 2018 newsletter. An extreme and prolonged deficiency of vitamin D causes rickets, resulting in soft bones and bowed legs in…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community