Ignacio ‘Nachito’ Aguilar, a native of Quilanga canton in Loja Province, celebrated his birthday last week in Catamayo. The event would not be notable except for the fact that Nachinto just turned 117 and is the oldest person in Ecuador and possibly the world. It was such a special occasion that the regional director of Ecuador’s Ministry of Economic and Social Inclusion, the mayor of Catamayo, and other local officials were in attendance. During the party in an elder day care center, Mayor Janet Gerrero Luzuriaga toasted Nachito as “Ecuador’s symbol of love and tenderness.” Nachito, who has lived in…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story