Odebrecht. It is a corporate name well-known in many parts of the world in connection with large-scale construction projects. In Latin America and the Caribbean, it is a name associated with some of the largest public infrastructure projects in the region’s history. Today it is a name that is inextricably linked to corruption. Odebrecht S.A. is a Brazilian conglomerate with holdings not only in construction, but in the petrochemical engineering, defense, and biofuels sectors as well. After decades of operation, the company has business operations in 26 countries and in 2015 reported $48.5 billion in gross revenues, double those of…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community
- World class dining in Cuenca
- Ancient craft of ikat thrives in Gualaceo
- Putting down roots in Cuenca