A Univeristy of Cuenca project, Pies y Pedales (Feet and Pedals), has conducted a study for Llacta Lab for Sustainable Cities and concluded the number of cars in Cuenca is increasing three times as fast as the human the population. According to city data, the population of Cuenca increased by 2.7%. in 2017 while automobile ownership increased by 10 %. Daniel Cardenas, chief of the Municipal Traffic Directorate (DMT), says 120.000 vehicles circulate in the city daily. 100,000 are local drivers and 20,000 are from other cities. Most cars carry only one occupant, adding to congestion. The Llacta Lab investigation…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- What should you bring to Cuenca?