A Univeristy of Cuenca project, Pies y Pedales (Feet and Pedals), has conducted a study for Llacta Lab for Sustainable Cities and concluded the number of cars in Cuenca is increasing three times as fast as the human the population. According to city data, the population of Cuenca increased by 2.7%. in 2017 while automobile ownership increased by 10 %. Daniel Cardenas, chief of the Municipal Traffic Directorate (DMT), says 120.000 vehicles circulate in the city daily. 100,000 are local drivers and 20,000 are from other cities. Most cars carry only one occupant, adding to congestion. The Llacta Lab investigation…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Los Perniles
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community
- Ancient craft of ikat thrives in Gualaceo