The construction of the new park, La Libertad, is 70 percent complete and is expected to be ready by May. The park is being built on 1.5 hectares that was the site of the old city prison. One of the old prison buildings will become a depository of historic city documents. However, 80 percent of the land is dedicated to green areas, paths, children parks, other outdoor activities. Included in the park will be a seven-story viewpoint that will off er a panoramic view of Cuenca. The first floor will house a coffee shop and daycare center. Other buildings in…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?