The Cuenca Cantonal Council has approved a new ordinance to limit air pollution from city buses. Bus company owners are now obligated to maintain preventive maintenance on current buses and to replace retired buses with non-polluting models. Xavier Barrera, city councilman and one of the promoters of the ordinance, says, “It’s necessary to implement a technology that allows us to reduce the emission to a lower level than we currently have.” According to the city transportation office (EMOV EP) and the Universidad de Azuay, the level of pollution in the city is 16 micrograms per cubic meter. Fifty micrograms per…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community