Exciting news has surfaced for individuals with disabilities who have longed to explore the awe-inspiring Inca citadel of Machu Picchu.
Leslie Urteaga, the Minister of Culture in Peru, made a significant announcement this week, declaring the creation of a new accessible section specifically designed to cater to the needs of those with disabilities, mobility limitations, and visual impairments.
Urteaga said that this decision showcases Peru’s profound commitment to inclusivity and ensures that everyone, regardless of their physical abilities, will have the opportunity to marvel at the wonder of Machu Picchu.
The Minister’s statement, released by the Ministry of Culture on June 24, 2023, conveys the government’s dedication to promptly implement this groundbreaking addition.
Although there are no plans to expand the daily visitor capacity of Machu Picchu, the establishment of an accessible and inclusive area will undoubtedly elevate the overall experience for visitors with disabilities.
Minister Urteaga confidently assured the public that there will be more positive news regarding this remarkable development in the near future.
Preservation is essential
During her visit to the citadel, Minister Urteaga commended the efforts of the sector’s technicians who diligently preserved Machu Picchu throughout the pandemic. Their meticulous work ensured that the archaeological monument remained in pristine condition and ready to welcome visitors once again.
The Minister stressed the importance of adhering to internal rules, regulations, and a code of ethics for both tour guides and visitors. By respecting the designated routes and following the indicated time slots, visitors can leave with a positive and fulfilling experience, knowing they have contributed to the preservation of this historic site.
While Machu Picchu already receives exemplary care and preservation, additional safe spaces and routes will continue to be implemented. The ongoing commitment to conserving archaeological sites extends far beyond Machu Picchu alone.
Minister Urteaga called upon the community to join efforts in presenting a better image of this invaluable “sanctuary historical” (sanctuary of history).
Dispute on capacity
Earlier this month, Juan Carlos Mathews, Peru’s Minister of Foreign Trade and Tourism, addressed the issue of capacity limitations at Machu Picchu.
“The capacity is limited by a cultural issue, the Ministry of Culture objects to an increase because (Machu Picchu) is a cultural heritage and you cannot punish it and risk it, that is why access is 4,044 visitors per day, but it can be gradually expanded and it will be expanded through new access points,” said Mathews in Cuzco, where he was participating in a meeting to promote investment in the country. He expressed optimism about gradually increasing the daily capacity by almost 70%.
However, Minister Urteaga clarified that the existing capacity of 4,044 visitors per day would remain unchanged. Even during the high season, Machu Picchu has not reached 90% of its daily capacity, indicating that the current arrangements are effectively accommodating visitors.
The introduction of a dedicated accessible section at Machu Picchu marks a significant step forward in promoting inclusivity and equal access to world heritage sites. This initiative not only provides individuals with disabilities the opportunity to explore and appreciate the marvels of Machu Picchu but also reinforces Peru’s commitment to fostering an inclusive society.