Do you remember the Tom Hanks movie “Terminal”? Ecuador’s version of a foreigner trapped in an international airport is playing out in the Jose Joaquin de Olmedo airport in Guayaquil. A Lebanese man has been stuck in immigration purgatory there for 42 days after losing his passport and being returned from Spain to Ecuador, where his flight originated. Nizam Hussein Shalak, 56, who does not speak Spanish, is the man in the middle of the new drama. “It is a case of inadmissibility because he has no documents,” a spokesman for Ecuador’s foreign ministry said Monday. “The only legal body…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’