I’m sitting here watching our cleaning lady work and she never ceases to amaze me. She is all of about 5 feet tall and weighs probably 100 pounds. She is in her late forties and has been a cleaning lady in the city for over 25 years. We hired her for the restaurants (yes, on contract) because she had worked for us at home before and always impressed us. So why is she so special? Well, here is an example. EVERY week she pulls the built-in refrigerator out of the wall to clean behind it. Really. I ask her, “Baleria,…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?