As Dr. Andrew Weil, medical doctor and integrative physician says, “America is still probably the most sugar-philic and bitter phobic culture the world has ever known.” The Standard American Diet (SAD Diet) consists mostly of bland foods, red and processed meats, refined and processed white carbs, with a minimum of fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, or whole grains. Of the three most truly bitter foods consumed by most North Americans regularly — coffee, chocolate, and beer — only beer is not heavily sweetened. Some of nature’s most nutritionally potent foods are bitter — but they’re also better for you! Foods…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Los Perniles
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community