Looking for authentic cultural immersion in Cuenca? Check out the city’s mercado scene; it’s lively, vibrant, and bountiful, with large bustling indoor and indoor-outdoor produce and meat markets scattered around town. Shopping at, any of the city’s nine large mercados, is a profoundly sensual and visceral experience. Of the three mercados in the historic district, two are large and one is small. The one most tourists visit and where many expats shop, is Diez de Agosto, at the west end of Calle Larga near the corner of Tarqui.The other big one, Nueve de Octubre, is nine blocks away, at the corner…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Ancient craft of ikat thrives in Gualaceo
- Putting down roots in Cuenca
- Cuenca balconies will overflow with flowers
- World class dining in Cuenca