Looking for authentic cultural immersion in Cuenca? Check out the city’s mercado scene; it’s lively, vibrant, and bountiful, with large bustling indoor and indoor-outdoor produce and meat markets scattered around town. Shopping at, any of the city’s nine large mercados, is a profoundly sensual and visceral experience. Of the three mercados in the historic district, two are large and one is small. The one most tourists visit and where many expats shop, is Diez de Agosto, at the west end of Calle Larga near the corner of Tarqui.The other big one, Nueve de Octubre, is nine blocks away, at the corner…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Ecuador achieves four agreements after meeting at the White House
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Los Perniles
- CRIME REPORT
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Tame temporarily suspends flights to Fort Lauderdale
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.