Good news for patients with chronic renal failure. The “Jose Carrasco Arteaga” IESS Hospital restarted the kidney transplant program with living donors. In March, a 23 years old Cuencano man received a kidney from his 48-year-old mother. The program began in 2014 was suspended for technical reasons. “Laparoscopic nephrectomy consists of opening up the donor’s abdomen and extracting one kidney through a small incision. This procedure avoids an open surgery and assures a quick recovery”, said Xavier Astudillo, IESS Hospital Technique Director. This live donor program is an option for those patients with chronic kidney failure and has a donor…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- What should you bring to Cuenca?