The Ecuadorian government has created an online process to register the foreign Covid-19 vaccination you received in another country.
There has been ongoing confusion as to whether people who received their vaccination abroad will be allowed to register with the government, or whether they will have to carry around their original vaccination card to be allowed to obtain government services, attend sporting events, or even travel in the country.
Those people can now rest easy that their vaccine will be accepted and that there is a way to formally register it with the Ecuadorian government.
On Sunday, the Ministry of Public Health (MSP) announced that is has enabled the link Registry of vaccination against COVID-19 administered abroad, which describes the steps to follow for the registration of vaccination against Covid-19 received outside of the country.
[This page and the registration site are in Spanish. To read in English we suggest you use Google Chrome, which does a very good translation of the information page and the registration site.]
Please note these requirements for registration:
- Citizenship / identity card number.
- Passport or refugee meat.
- Information and documentation regarding vaccination against COVI D-19, administered abroad (outside of Ecuador).
Information on the process
Once you’ve clicked on the above link (https://www.gob.ec/msp/tramites/registro-vacunacion-contra-covid-19-administrada-exterior) you will be brought to the Ministry of Public Health’s information page on the process to register. This is NOT the registration site, just the information page (the registration site link is provided below).
The page makes it clear that this system is for Nationals and/or foreigners who reside in Ecuador who wish to register information regarding vaccination against Covid-19, administered abroad (outside Ecuador).
The page then outlines how to enter the registration site, that registration is free, that it is available 24 hours a day, and finally it offers contact information if you have any problems with the registration process.
Step-by-step instructions to register
- Enter the registration link (https://www.gob.ec/tramites/13021/webform)
- Click on the identification document you will use: refugee card, identity card (Cedula) or passport. If you are a permanent resident, it is best to use your Cedula as it will link it to all internal Ecuador systems.
- Insert the identification number of that document.
- The system will ask you to write an email and a phone number. You must provide an email to receive your proof of registration.
- When you click on the continuebutton, the system sends you a confirmation code to your email AND pops up another screen that asks you to enter the marital status and date of birth that appears on the identification document.
- You must also enter the confirmation code you received in your email. Then press continue.
- The system then asks you to upload a PDF of your vaccination card (or similar information) that proves that you were vaccinated abroad, that is, outside of Ecuador.
- You will then receive an email that tells you your “application” is in process along with the time it believes you will receive your approval/proof of registration.
- When the MSP has finished reviewing your submitted application, you will receive an email explain how to obtain your proof of registration.
What about the vaccination card obtained abroad?
Back in late October, the MSP also said that this document is also valid in Ecuador. The card can be used to enter Ecuador by any route: air, river or land. Top of FormBottom of Form
Vaccination abroad and in Ecuador
Thousands of Ecuadorians and foreign residents traveled abroad, especially to the United States to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Many of those people received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which only requires one dose, or the Moderna of Pfizer vaccines, which require two doses.
In the system developed by the Ministry of Public Health together with the National Electoral Council, people vaccinated in other countries had to enter this information (this system did NOT register the vaccination into the MSP system. Thru last August 31, more than 21 thousand people reported that they were vaccinated abroad.
The government of Guillermo Lasso exceeded nine million people vaccinated against Covid-19, achieving the goal it set during the electoral campaign. Today, health personnel such as doctors, nurses or cleaning personnel in hospitals and the elderly are receiving a third dose as a booster. Adolescents aged 12 to 17 and children aged 5 years are also being vaccinated so that they can return to classes in person.