Azuay Province has received $54 million for transportation and farming projects, thanks to the federal government. President Lenin Moreno was in town Monday, January 29, to present the check to local officials. The ceremony took place in San Blas park in downtown Cuenca. Of the $54 million, $5.9 million dollars will be allocated for the construction and improvement of irrigation systems for rural farmers living in six rural cantons. As for this allocation, Prefect Paul Carrasco said the water systems will benefit roughly 20,000 small-scale farmers whose productivity will be substantially improved. According to the newspaper El Comercio, the government…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’