On Wednesday, Ecuador’s Minister of the Interior, María Paula Romo, confirmed the arrest of former Minister Ramiro González (photo). “We have worked closely with the respective authorities and contributed with key information to achieve this capture, we hope their prompt delivery to the Ecuadorian justice,” said the minister. The former official, who served as president of the Ecuadorian Institute of Social Security (IESS), had an arrest warrant for the crime of influence peddling. In this case it is linked to eight people, who mostly worked in the IESS, in the creation of bases to hire the Super Clean cleaning company.…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?