The renovations of the 12 de Abril market is close to completion, according to Manolo Cardenas, director of municipal markets. “We are 70 percent completed now and expect the entire construction process is done by next August,” he says. Currently, there are 390 merchants in the market and the new construction will allow for 550. The expansion work that began in July of last year covers over 87,000 square feet of open-air warehouses, paved platforms, loading docks, a water storage tank, and a waste disposal system. Also included is a child development center for the merchant’s children, an administration office,…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology