The group “Todopormis Hijos” is awaiting the final decision of the Constitutional Court of Ecuador (CCE) on equal marriage.Braulio Alvarez, lawyer and representative of the group, explained that the CCE will decide whether or not an opinion given to Costa Rica by the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (CIDH) in 2007 is binding. The hearing was held last week; the CCE is now considering whether the pronouncement of the IACHR obliges Ecuador to recognize that two people of the same sex marry.In previous judicial proceedings, including those that have been given in the Court of Justice of Azuay, the judgements…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology