The driver of the battery operated bus currently undergoing trials in Cuenca says its performance proves that it can operate efficiently on city streets. “It’s comfortable and smooth and very, very quiet,” reports Alberto Abad, who has driven municipal buses for 38 years. Passengers, who ride the bus for free, are also giving the bus high marks. The electric bus, which is on loan from BYD Motors of China, is similar to models that operate in cities around the world. In addition to Abab and passengers, the bus’ performance is being analyzed by engineering students and faculty at the University…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?