If you are from Ecuador and you live on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, cross-country skiing at the Olympic Winter Games seems a bit far-fetched. But Klaus Jungbluth Rodriguez has defied the odds to qualify for the Games and will march into Pyeongchang’s Olympic Stadium as Ecuador’s first ever Winter Olympian. “It’s like you are carrying your whole country in your hands, I’ll do my best to make my country very proud,” Rodriguez said after his first training session in Pyeongchang. At every Winter Olympics there are competitors from nations that few expect to see in colder climate sports and Ecuador will…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?