Editor’s Note: The Cuenca cantón is the largest cantón in Azuay Province. Besides its namesake capital city, the cantón is made up of twenty-two rural parroquias (parishes). In 2017, the municipality took on an important cultural project. Representatives from the Dirección Municipal De Cultura, Educación Y Deportes (Francisco Abril Piedra, Director) visited all the parroquias and collected local stories and legends. Some of these stories are quite old, while some are more recent, but they are all important to the history and culture of the cantón. The municipality published these stories in a series of pamphlets entitled, “Memorias Parroquiales Rurales.”…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’