A citizen initiative called “Para un Aire Más Limpio” (For a Cleaner Air), has been created by a group of Cuenca environmentalists. Organizers say they will organize walking, jogging, and cycling events, as well as tree-planting days, among many other activities. The focus of Para un Aire Más Limpio is to reduce exhaust emissions from cars, trucks and buses operating in the city. One of the group’s leaders, Margarita Arias, says that many of the members are amateur athletes who are highly affected by pollution. In addition, she says the group wants to create a better environment for all citizens.…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology