The remarkable transformat ion of Cuenca’s professional football team continued Tuesday night in Cochabamba, Bolivia as the Southern Express defeated Jorge Wilstermann in a penalty shoot-out, 6-5. With the win, Deportivo Cuenca advances to the second round of the Copa Sudamericana football tournament. Six weeks ago, Cuenca was on the verge of being demoted to Ecuador’s B League, having gone nine games without a victory. Since then, following the hiring of Venezuelan coach Richard Paéz, they have not lost, winning five games and tying two. Tuesday night’s game ended in a 2-2 draw before being decided by penalty kicks. Cuenca…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology