More than 40 families living in Cuenca’s historic district will participate in the second annual “Flowery Balconies” contest. Participating homes are located on Calle Rafael María Arizaga, from Av. Huayna Capac to Benigno Malo. An additional 26 families will participate by decorating their homes on Gran Colombia Street, between Octavio Cordero and Juan Montalvo. “The length of the contest is seven months. The winners will receive a prize of between $2,200 and $2,700 awarded to the five prettiest balconies in each sector,” said Andrea Arteaga, Cuenca Cleaning Municipal Public Company (EMAC EP), manager. As the sponsor of the contest, the…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?