I have been enchanted with Cuenca since the day I arrived. I’ve also been writing about Cuenca since my earliest days. This article was originally printed in CuencaHighLife. Among the principle roles a newspaper plays in society is serving as a community sounding board and as a place where an exchange of ideas take shape. We learn of current events as well as the opinions and decisions shaping these events simply by reading the paper. Throughout history, journalism has served us well. In 1791, Thomas Paine wrote, The Rights of Man, a collection of essays defending the values of the…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’