Carnival season is coming and businesses are gearing up for increased sales. Already you can see store windows filled with Valentine’s Day and Carnival gifts and displays. Carnival is one of Cuenca’s, and all of Ecuador’s major traditional festivals. This year, it runs from February 11 to February 13 and is followed a day later by Valentine’s Day on February 14, a coincidence that has not happened in more than 20 years. Carnaval in Ecuador is a time to douse friend, family, and the occasional unsuspecting stranger, with water and foam. It is a time when anything goes and everyone…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology