Buses in Cuenca’s municipal transport system began charging 30 cents per ride August 1. The fare increase was approved last year but was put on hold as negotiations between bus company owners and the city continued. Besides the five-cent price hike, the city has agreed to contribute an addition penny per ride to bus owners. In addition to the new fare, 22 systemwide conditions are now in effect, including requirements that: all 475 buses in the fleet be replaced with 21 months; that all daily routes have two drivers instead of the current one; that all drivers attend a 20-…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Los Perniles
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- Catholic church opens its doors to the LGBTI community