The Austro Electrical Company ELECTAUSTRO S.A. has been trying to complete a new hydroelectric plant in the Soldados-Yanuncay region since 2004, when topographical studies began. Since that time, they have faced a lot of resistance from activists from different regions of the country that oppose the project. Activists coming from various delegations of Azuay, Bolivar, Cañar, El Oro, Loja, Zamora Chinchipe and Morona Santiago met this week to organize the next wave of protests and defense. There is also a Communitarian Assembly this July 12th in the San Joaquin Parish to define the guidelines for the defense of the mountainous…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?