Almost everyone who’s seen the movie, Cool Hand Luke, can recall the classic line by Strother Martin, “What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate” This classic phrase illustrates a lack of effective communication because of an unwillingness to listen. Communication breaks down when someone ceases to hear what others are saying. I’ll never forget the first time I tried to teach my daughter how to write code for software. For me, it was as obvious as to how one eats a slice of chocolate cake. But, to a ten-year-old girl, I was failing miserably. To my daughter’s credit,…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’