Dora Ordóñez, a former candidate for the Azuay Prefecture, recently assumed the role of Undersecretary of Transport and Public Works in the Austro region. Azuay is facing some serious road problems, which have been affecting the economic sectors of tourism and...
Area flooding has increased even though El Niño won’t be here until August
The rainy season in Ecuador has caused several phenomena, including river overflows, flooding, landslides, and damage to crops and homes. By the end of March 2023, the Risk Secretariat had dealt with over two thousand dangerous events due to the current rainy season, affecting almost 60,000 people, leaving 742 homeless, and damaging over 12,000 homes. […]
Ecuadorian Ministry of Defense Sets Nine Requirements for Civilians to Carry Weapons
On April 14, 2023, the Ecuadorian Ministry of Defense issued a Ministerial Agreement that implements the changes to Executive Decree No. 707, which allows for the carrying of weapons for civilians and their use in self-defense. Last Friday, the Minister of Defense, Luis Lara, announced that the Ministry had issued a Ministerial Agreement defining how […]
Quito Metro’s Commercial Operations to Start in Q4 2023
Update to: The commercial operation of the Quito Metro will begin in March 2023 Published: Volume 7, Issue 10 The Quito Metro has announced that its commercial operations will begin in the last quarter of 2023. While the operator, a consortium formed by Colombian Metro Medellín and French Transdev, claims that the Municipality owes them […]
Flopec, at the center of the effort to impeach Lasso, has been around for almost 50 years
The Ecuadorian Oil Fleet, known as Flopec, is at the center of a political storm in Ecuador, as President Guillermo Lasso faces calls for impeachment in relation to the company. Lasso has said that Flopec “does not have ships,” but this statement is not entirely accurate. Flopec does have ships, but it also creates strategic […]
Only 30% of Ecuador’s real estate buyers have investment as their goal
Real estate demand in Ecuador may decrease in 2023 due to several factors, including political uncertainty and insecurity. According to MarketWatch, a market consultancy firm, only 30% of real estate buyers in Ecuador purchase properties as an investment, which Gonzalo Rueda, the firm’s manager, says is a small percentage. The remaining 70% buy property to […]
There’s no place like home
It’s no secret that life can be tough, and sometimes it seems like everything just piles on at once. This was the case for me the past two weeks, as I faced a series of challenges that tested my emotional and physical resilience. But even in the midst of all these difficulties, I was able […]
Regardless of court order, Ministry of Finance says it will not pay Glas a lifetime pension
Former Vice President of the Republic of Ecuador, Jorge Glas, was granted a life pension by Judge Elueterio Aguilar in a protection action ruling on April 13, 2023. The decision ordered the government, through the Ministry of Finance, to restore the monthly pension of...
Ecuadorians among top three nationalities crossing the perilous Darién jungle
Update to: Ecuadorian migrants face threat of dangerous antipersonnel mines in the Darien Gap Published: Volume 7, Issue 25 The United Nations (UN) has issued a warning of a new record of migrants crossing the dangerous Darién jungle between Colombia and Panama. According to recent reports, the number of migrants who have crossed the Darien […]
Vehicles Assembled in Ecuador Make a Comeback in 2023
The first quarter of 2023 has been a promising period for the automobile industry in Ecuador, as vehicles assembled in the country have regained a share of the market that they had lost in 2022. According to the Chamber of the Ecuadorian Automotive Industry (Cinae),...