Think your skin is safe in Cuenca? Well actually, Cuenca ranks as the city with the third highest incidence of skin cancer in Ecuador, after Quito and Loja. Many local experts recommend the use of sunblock to avoid excessive damage from the sun when outside. Many Cuencano citizens are quite careless when out in the city and sometimes spend hours in a plaza without covering up from sun radiation. Few ever use sombreros, top hats, or even sunblock. According to the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INEC), Cuenca averages around 52 cases of skin cancer, 28 in men and…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?