A new piece of legislation dealing with the development of Amazon municipalities is expected to be enacted by the National Assembly on February 12, 2018, on a day of special importance since it commemorates and celebrates the region nationwide. This date is referred to as Dia del Oriente Ecuatoriano. The bill (referred to as Ley Organica de la Circunscripcion Territorial Especial Amazonica), is proposing a new planning secretariat that will assist regional municipalities in matters concerning territorial development. This institution is expected to replace a government agency that endows the municipalities with transportation infrastructure projects such as bridges and streets;…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story
- Cuenca will have a new Ludic Botanical Garden
- The Amazonian tribe defending their land with technology