It’s been called “super tea” or “super leaf” and health food stores and specialty coffee shops in North America and Europe can’t get enough of it. Guayusa, as it is commonly known, is made from the ilex guayusa leaf. According to some scientific reports and its enthusiasts, who call it the “healthiest tea in the world,” it contains 50% more anti-oxidants than green tea, almost as much caffeine as coffee, as well as vitamins and minerals not found in other teas. Despite its recent popularity, there’s nothing new about guayusa. It has been used by the indigenous people of Ecuador’s…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- What should you bring to Cuenca?
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- Searching for origin of the word ‘Gringo’
- Artesana Bakery: a love story