As if you needed another reason to stay active as you age, a new study published in the journal Neurology (March 14, 2018) showed that women with high physical fitness at middle age were nearly 90% less likely to develop dementia as they age, compared to those who were moderately fit. A Swedish study followed middle-aged women for 44 years starting in 1968, monitoring their physical activity levels and testing them periodically for dementia until 2009. At the start of the study they measured the peak cardiovascular capacity of 191 women (average age 50 years) by having them ride an…
Want to read the whole story?
Subscribe to The Cuenca Dispatch and gain full access to this story, weekly issues, plus the entire running archive! With your subscription, you will gain access to all the news you'll need concerning Ecuador as a United States expat.
Get access to our most read articles
- Cuenca expat scene is ‘changing before our eyes’
- Los Perniles
- Immerse yourself in Cuenca’s bountiful markets
- CRIME REPORT
- Ecuadorian named to Time magazine’s 100 most influential people list
- Cuenca identifies 7 most dangerous places to be a pedestrian in the city
- Global warming? Most of the hot air is generated by politicians
- IESS launches “primary care” concept to patients
- The American dream: The experience of an Ecuadorian woman who fell in love with your country.
- What should you bring to Cuenca?